Writing your story for your website, social media or for applications can be daunting. It is useful to have several versions already on file for you to easily update and share. Let me give you some ideas about what to write and where.
Your “story” is the story of your life. What has contributed to you being here today and being an artist. When you first start compiling your story you can make it as lengthy as you like, eventually, you will cut it down to a digestible form that will fit all the formats you require. It is all about building the picture of you in the viewer’s mind. Letting them know more about you. It’s about being honest and building trust.
“People buy from those they know and trust”
What is your reason for doing what you do? Why do you create your art?
I suggest writing this first as it will help keep you focussed and motivated. “I create art because…..” You can call this your mission.
Next make a long list of :
- great things you have achieved
- places you have lived
- the awards you have received
- the jobs you have held
- the different roles you have had
- what you have studied
- even the free or short courses
- the workshops you have undertaken
- the exhibitions you have contributed to
- the galleries that have featured you and the classes you have facilitated
- the artists or people who have influenced you
Write these lists in any format you like and then contemplate what has been the most influential on your life as an artist. What led you to this place and time?
Once you have clarified your “story “ then you need to format it into six different versions for the many different online and printed versions you will need.
1. short- less than 100 words
2. medium- 200-300 words
3. long- 500 words
4. third person – for professional directories, trade shows and your website
5. first person- for your website – about why you do it
6. an elevator pitch to use at networking events – 30 seconds.
If you would like to know more art marketing basics why not check out our Reach More with Video : a Digital Guide for Creatives coming in 2021.