IN THIS WORKSHOP YOU WILL LEARN:
- Understanding the principles of landscape painting:
- Understanding your materials
- Colour mixing, photo distortions
- the ins and outs of plein air
- students complete a landscape painting from a photo
A practical approach to the process of plein air painting: (Demo and student project)
- Scene selection
- The thumbnail sketch
- The value lay-in
- Painting from the back to the front
- Capturing the light
- Atmosphere and colour
- Knowing when you’re done.
Students will gain a solid foundation of understanding and applying the knowledge of 1 and 2 point perspective into their plein air paintings.
Finding your own voice:
Identifying what makes you unique and embracing your own voice is surprisingly one of the biggest challenges to the artist. It boils down to knowing what you respond to.
Students will gain the confidence to listen to their inner responses to what truly moves them and act upon those impressions.
There is no one on earth quite like you and the joy of being an artist is to share your special outlook.
- Gamblin Paints:Colours:
- Titanium White
- Cadmium Yellow Medium
- Yellow Ochre
- Burnt Sienna
- Ultramarine Blue
- Pthalo Green
- Alizarin Crimson
- Gamsol (Odorless Mineral Spirits- available through Gamblin Products)
- Refined Linseed Oil (Also available through Gamblin)
- Some videos, Open Box M www.openboxm.com
- Some videos, www.artboxandpanel.com Both companies- great plein air easels!
- Signet Series by Robert Simmons: sizes 2,4,6,& 8
Plein Air Backpack:
- Sienna Brand Plein Air Back Pack
- Small 8” x 10”, 6” x 8” or so panels (I prefer linen or gessoed- not cotton cheap pnes)
- Raymar wet panel carrier for carrying wet paintings (I prefer an 8” x 10”) You can order panels through Raymar, also
- Paper Towels
- Sketch book/pencil
- 3 -legged stool
- Bungie cord
- Drawing pencils
- View catcher
- Personal care items, band-aids or small first aid kit, rubber bands, clips, chap stick, business cards, etc
- Containers to hold solvent, Small metal can
- Palette cups for linseed oil
- Brush holder/container
MEET THE TEACHERS:
Daniel Hill Riedel
Daniel Hill Riedel is a fine artist, muralist, decorative artisan, illustrator and designer. In 2018 he co-founded the Renaissance Academy Of Fine Arts with Jessica Henry as part of their Renaissance Creative Arts business to extend their art instruction offerings.