Skip to content

Advice on 'doing it part time.'

Home Forums Building an Art Business Advice on 'doing it part time.'

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Participant

Hi all
    I was interested in starting to do some work to ‘throw out there’ to the World. I never have before, only doing work for myself, friends etc.

Initially, I want to work in the evenings (I work full time) and see how I go. In an ideal world the ultimate goal would be to get into a position where you can earn enough yo work part time rather than full, and support a family too. But baby steps, the first goal is to just make some pocket money!

So wondering if anyone has just started along these lines, would they have any advice for those in my position? I guess my main fear -aside from failure like us all (!), is getting it right in regard to tax! What is the best way to start on a small level, best places to put your work out initially, and what is the best approach to the tax side….don’t worry about it until you have sales, or see the tax dept first ?

Hi Mike
    Suggest getting in touch with the Tax Dept, I know in Qld they run free information sessions for small business & those interested in becoming a small business. One of these sessions would answer many of your questions.
    Good luck!
    Ruby

traceyleedawes
    Participant

Hi Mike –

Yeah, the ATO is and organisation you want to stay on the right side of LOL! I would just contact them and explain exactly what your intentions are. Either that, or put aside a % of any earnings from your art in preparation for a tax bill when you declare your ‘income from a second job’. Best of luck – let’s hope you’re making the majority of your income from sales sooner rather than later :) Trace

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Colour In Your Life

Featured Artist Pack

Market yourself to an international audience and take your career as an artist to the next level. Sign up to download the Colour In Your Life Featured Artist Pack.

Thanks for subscribing. Your download will be sent to your email.

Are you ready to take your practice to the next level?

Be on the Colour In Your Life show and market yourself to an international audience and take your career as an artist to the next level. 

Get in touch with us to get more information.

Thanks for registering your interest to be a featured artist in Colour In Your Life. We'll get in touch with you as soon as possible.